Losing your BVN number can be frustrating. Luckily, technology has made it possible for us to retrieve our BVN numbers using our mobile phones, Without visiting the bank for assistance. In this article, we will guide you through the process of registering for a BVN and explain how to retrieve it if you happen to misplace it. But first, let’s understand what BVN actually represents.
What is BVN?
BVN stands for Bank Verification Number. It is a unique number provided and validated by all financial institutions in Nigeria. Your BVN should correspond with the information on your personal bank account. Each BVN is an 11-digit number, and no two individuals can have the same BVN.
Requirements for a BVN (Bank Verification Number)
In 2014, the Central Bank of Nigeria mandated that every bank account must have a personal BVN. Without a BVN, you will not be able to operate your account. This measure was put in place to enhance account security. BVN includes your biometric information, such as fingerprints, signature, and a passport photo. It is crucial to note that only you can initiate the BVN process for your account; no one else can do it on your behalf.
Obtaining a BVN from your bank is a straightforward process. Generally, here are the requirements for obtaining a bank verification number:
- A valid means of identification (e.g., International passport, voter card, national identity card, driver’s license) with a clear picture.
- Completion of the enrollment form.
- Your details will be captured, and you will receive a ticket ID. Within a few days, your BVN will be sent to the phone number you provided during registration.
BVN Enrollment Locations
The Bank Verification Number (BVN) is a unique number that applies to all banks in Nigeria. You can securely perform transactions at any banking operation point in the country.
BVN Enrollment for Nigerians in Diaspora
Many people have wondered how Nigerians living abroad can obtain their BVN. In this section, we will address that question. Nigerians residing abroad can register for a bank verification number at enrollment centers located in countries such as the United States of America, the United Kingdom, the United Arab Emirates, South Africa, China, France, Canada, India, Brazil, Italy, and others. You will need to provide your international passport as a valid means of identification.
Benefits of the Bank Verification Number
There are several reasons why you need a bank verification number. Let’s explore some of the key benefits:
- BVN serves as a means of identification across all banks in the country.
- Verification and validation of customer identity can be seamlessly conducted across different electronic platforms using BVN.
- BVN helps combat cyber fraud effectively.
- Financial institutions can track their customers using BVN, particularly in relation to loan repayment.
- BVN enables easy access to digital banking, which reduces the need to wait in long queues at bank branches.
- BVN improves overall banking efficiency.
- BVN allows you to link all your accounts together easily.
How to Check Your BVN with Your Phone
If you wish to retrieve your BVN number, you can do so using your mobile number and any network provider (MTN, Airtel, Glo, and 9mobile), as long as it is the same number you used during BVN registration. Follow these steps to check your BVN via USSD:
- Dial 5650# on the phone number linked to your BVN registration.
- Your BVN will appear on your phone screen.
- Copy the number or take a screenshot if you are using a smartphone, and store it securely for future reference.
Please note that checking your BVN via USSD is not free. A fee of 20 NGN will be deducted from your airtime balance. If your balance is insufficient, you will be unable to retrieve your BVN. Therefore, it is important to handle your BVN information with care to avoid frequent charges.
BVN Code for All Banks in Nigeria (MTN, Airtel, Glo & 9mobile)
As mentioned earlier, you can check your BVN through USSD using the code *565*0# for all network providers.
Frequently Asked Questions
- How can I get my BVN number from 9mobile? Dial *565*0# from your 9mobile line and follow the prompts.
- Can I check my BVN without airtime? You can only check your BVN with airtime by dialing *565*0# from the phone number linked to your bank account.
- Can I check my BVN with another number? You can check your BVN with any phone number by dialing *565*0#. The code works for all banks registered with the Central Bank of Nigeria.
- Can someone have two BVNs? No, it is not possible to have two BVNs. BVN is a unique identity that captures your biometrics, so double registration is not allowed.
- Can BVN be used to steal money? Yes, fraudsters can potentially use a bank customer’s BVN to steal funds from their account.
Conclusion This article has provided a comprehensive guide on obtaining and retrieving your Bank Verification Number (BVN). Remember, it is crucial to keep your BVN secure and avoid sharing it with third parties. Safeguarding your BVN is essential to protect yourself from potential risks and fraudulent activities. We hope this article has answered all your questions.